Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8th, 2011 Hobie TI Jib update

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=bGtH-We0Kdo

Above is a link to see the jib that you see in the photos in operation. I have been testing it and it is working out really well. No issues so far but still waiting for some stronger winds than the10 mph that I have tested in so far.It certainly has improved light wind performance. I added aprox. 1/4 the size of the main so it makes sence that performance has improved. The jib added aprox. 22 sq. foot of sail area.

While waiting on the wind, not looking good....forcast winds under 10 mph until next weds, on week from now, I have been working on a roll bar at the back in order to get the main sheet and block above my head. It was fine as it is but I have found that in light wind it is best to furl the sails (notice, I said sails!) and pedal.When you do this the main sheet comes down right on your head and gets right in the way.
 Furling the sails reduces drag and you can go faster when pedaling. Even faster when you take the mast down which is still easy to do since the jib is rolled up right along with the mail. So I needed a way to get the sheet out of the way when furled. I finished the rollbar tonight. I made it from UV protected Plastic electrical condunit from lowes. It weighs aprox 4 lbs and cost about $15 dollars. It will be tested soon but I do not forsee any issues with it and I certainly like getting the sheet out of the way. I have also found another use for it. If your sails are furled the sheet is tight from the main sail attach point and runs back to the roll bar which is above your head. You can use that to put a Tarp over and make a sun or rain cover when you get where you are going. And I suppose you could have it installed while peddaling in the rain or sun since it would not cause much drag being even with the ground. I will get some photos of the roll bar and the tarp setup as soon as I can.
I will also get some photos of the spinaker that I have been flying so far. It has suprised me. It is a setup that can be tacked from side to side but it is mainly for very long downwind runs (hours)with the winds under 10 mph.
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment